Saturday, July 19, 2008

Word Power

Overhearing an announcer on MSNBC use the word kerfuffle, I grabbed the dictionary. Being it's of the pocket variety, I couldn't locate the word in question. What a cool word I thought. I was on the web so I Googled the word.
Kerfuffle: disorder, uproar or confusion

I got to thinking about all the texting that is so popular now and how far from removed from the basics we have become.

Don't get me wrong. Technology is great. I LOVE word check! But when we as a society can't communicate because everyone has their own "language", who loses?
In the age of GPS, are we raising a generation that won't be able to read a map?
I wonder.

I remember as a kid one of my mothers favorite phrases.......Get the dictionary. Now my kid is suffering the same feelings as I tell him, get the dictionary!
Being the parent can be fun don't you agree?

No comments: