Saturday, June 13, 2009

Another Vocabulary Lesson




I have decided to try not to use the words "I hate" or "never". I used to think I hated bromeliads. That I would never want them included in my landscape. My first opinion was formed as my arms were torn to shreds clearing out overgrown beds. My loathing of the vicious things lasted quite a while.
My boss is the head of the local bromeliad society. We are quizzed regularly on the 300,000,000 million kazillion species. I have grasped one or two and after that, all I hear is BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. We had to be bribed by our employer (dinner and hourly wage) to go to a society meeting. More BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. After which my boss graced me with one. A Bilbergia. I hesitantly found a place for it in my landscape. I hate, oops. I would rather not throw a plant away. I have watched it grow and bloom and have come to appreciate their beauty. Look at the colors. And some of the blooms are spectacular. My collection is growing. I am not about to join the local bromeliad society. And I am still wary of the spiney beasts but I have opened my eyes to their beauty. My horizons just keep expanding.









No comments: