Saturday, June 13, 2009

It Takes a Thief

Well, "thief" may be a little harsh. I have crossed the line I believe. I can no longer satisfy my need to grow things by visiting the local nursery. I actually pulled my work truck off the road the other day. I had been eyeballing a royal poinciana with a single seed pod hanging( just out of reach). I tried my two step ladder but still couldn't reach it and the only other option was climbing on the hood of my truck. Please tell me you understand. Surely there are more of us out there. As I climbed on the hood I imagined someone calling the office to report this strange behavior to my boss. We have our business name and # smeared all over our trucks. I did get the pod and I didn't get reported. Since then I nabbed more pods off some trees by Tim's work (no climbing involved) plus as I was scanning the surroundings I spotted a sprout. So I nabbed it too! I don't want to just go and buy a tree. I want to watch it grow.
So far the goods gained have been on public property Or from my clients.
Notice the nice loquat to the left. I yanked him up when he was just a sprout. Have you ever had a ripe loquat? One taste and you'll be looking for sprouts too. Well. You may go the more conventional route and buy the tree. I have three Jacaranda sprouts from seeds I collected. I have not gone so far as to cross onto someones property. I would however not have a problem knocking on someones door to ask for a clipping from a plant. I have had someone ask me for clippings and was quite happy to oblige. And one day when my Poinciana is large enough to produce seed pods and I see some poor fool struggling to reach just one. I believe I would offer my ladder. And if you notice someone on the side of the road climbing on the hood of their truck under the trees. Please understand they aren't meaning any harm. They are just in love with growing things. God has put some really beautiful things on this earth. Some of us were born gatherers. I'm just doing what I was born to do.

No comments: